Ask any parent, what they would prefer, a child who is mild and meek or a child who is vibrant and active and they would always go for the latter. But ask parents who have hyperactive children, and they would so easily confess that handling such hyperactive kids is a different challenge by itself. So, let us find out something more about hyperactivity in children. Identifying hyperactive children is the first step.
Here is how you spot hyperactivity in children –
● Hyperactive kids have difficulty in listening to or to follow the given directions.
● They cannot sit back in their seats and often tend to move around a lot.
● They talk too much or interrupt other people’s conversations.
● Hyperactive kids fail to follow instructions or do a step-by-step routine. ● They are impulsive, over-enthusiastic, and bouncing with energy.
● They can easily become worried, frustrated, angry, and sad.
Now that we know how to identify the hyperactive children what can be done about it?
Here are some tricks and tips on how to handle Hyperactive Children –
● Channelize their energy into something constructive and creative.
● Understand their feelings. Compassion always helps in handling any type of children.
● Talk to them in a simple manner. Breaking down information in smaller chunks helps.
● Pair a child with his/her friends. Children observe and learn a lot. During peer to peer interactions the hyperactivity may even out.
● Use a stress ball. The excess energy gets an outlet and that can be helpful in reducing hyperactivity.
● Minimize distractions. This helps build focus which can channelize the extra energy in the right direction.
● Identify strengths and weakness. This works wonders under any situation and helps utilize the strengths in a purposeful manner.
● Avoid fatigue. Excess activity may lead to more physical and mental drain out.
● Give second chances. Everyone deserves a second chance to correct oneself so do hyperactive children.
● Encourage attention to detail. This encouragement sharpens the focus and can have a calming effect on the minds of hyperactive children.
While we have looked at some tricks and tips, games and allied activities can be the gamechanger in diverting the excess energy in hyperactive children.
Games and activities for the kids to keep them motivated –
● Karate / Martial arts. The gist of Karate and Martial arts is to learn to control strength.
● Learning music. Music is always considered to be divine and can bring inner happiness.
● Doing theatre to enhance creativity. Theatre requires a lot of energy to put together many things. Add to that a dash of creativity which is integral to theatre, the excess energy can be optimally utilized in a constructive manner.
● Swimming. It is one of the most useful form of exercising. Water itself has a calming effect on the body and the mind.
● Brain tickling games. Once the brain gets engaged, the rest of the physical activities automatically get controlled.
● Meditation – It not only helps in calming the body and mind, but it can bring in a lot of inner peace resulting in building a wonderful character in children.
There is nothing to overtly worry about hyperactivity in children. However, if the excess energy can be rightly channelized, it can do wonders to the child’s development and can result in greater achievements. There are a lot of courses available for parents, current and aspiring teachers that can help in identifying hyperactive children, how to effectively manage and bring out the best in them.
Thu Dec 24, 2020